The â€ślegalisationâ€ť is the process through which the legal quality of the Official Functionary that has signed documents such as copies, acts or extracts, as well as the Functionaryâ€™s signature authenticity, Â is certified.
This section is dedicated to the documents that are issued in a foreign country and have to be valid in Italy or abroad
Which type of documents need to be legalised?
The documents that need legalisation are:
- Acts and documents issued by localÂ authorities so that they are legally valid abroad (i.e. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Driving licences, Criminal Records Certificates, etc.)
When documents need legalisation
TheÂ legalisationÂ can be requestedÂ by:
- CitizensÂ who have to validate a document issued by local authorities to be used abroad
Type of legalisation
Depending on the origin country, the document will need a dedicated type of legalisation
- Apostille (learn more)
- Other Legalisation due to special agreement between the origin country and the destination country
Our team can support you in the legalisation process of foreign documents.
TheÂ competent local jurisdiction bodyÂ is responsible for taking care of the legalisation of documents in foreign countries.
Depending on the country that has issued a specific document it may change the competent authority. For further information and to check the dedicated jurisdiction body in each country please refer to the Hague Conference Official website
- Consular: after the legalisaton at the competent local jurisdiction body, documents have to be submitted to the Embassy – Consulate of the foreign country to receive the final legalisation
- Apostille: it is released by the competent jurisdiction body of the original country
- Other Legalisation due to special agreement between the origin country and the destination country: it is necessary to verify what the agreement requires for a document to be valid in the destination country (i.e. multilingual certificate)
Translation of official documents
In addition to the legalisation of documents issued by foreign authorities, it is possible to authenticate official translations of documents from one foreign language to another foreign language. These translations, which can be made by our multilingual collaborators, can acquire legal value in Italy/abroad when submitted to a special legalisation process to be carried out at the local jurisdiction body.