This section is dedicated to the documents that are issued in Italy and have to be validated for use abroad
Which type of documents need to be legalised?
The documents that need legalisation are:
- Acts and documents issued by Italian authorities so that they are legally valid abroad (i.e. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Driving licences, Criminal Records Certificates, etc.)
When documents need legalisation
TheÂ legalisationÂ can be requestedÂ by:
- Italian citizens or foreigners who have to validate a document in Italy to use it abroad
Type of legalisation
Depending on the destination country, the document will need a dedicated type of legalisation
- Other Legalisation due to special agreement between Italy and the destination country
A&P team can support you in the legalisation process of Italian documents.
TheÂ Ministry of the Foreign AffairsÂ is responsible for taking care of the legalisation of documents in Italy.
Depending on the office that has issued a specific document, the Ministry delegates the Public Prosecutorâ€™s Office at the Courts and the Prefectures in the legalisation process.
Public Prosecutorâ€™s Office at the Courts: responsible for legalising acts signed by Notaries, Chancellorâ€™s office Functionaries and Sheriff-Officers.
Prefectures: responsible for legalising documents signed by other Italian Authorities, such as Registry office Functionaries
- Consular: after the legalisaton ofÂ Public Prosecutorâ€™s Office at the Courts orÂ Prefectures, documents have to be submitted to the Embassy/ Consutate of the destination country to receive the final legalisation
- Apostille: it is released by the competent jurisdiction body in Italy
- Other Legalisation: due to special agreement between Italy and the destination country: Â it is necessary to verify what the agreement requires for a document to be valid in the destination country (i.e. multilingual certificate)
Translation of official documents
In addition to the legalisation of documents issued by Italian authorities, it is possible to authenticate official translations of documents from Italian to a foreign language. These translations, which can be made by our team of multilingual experts, can acquire legal value abroadÂ if submitted to a special legalization process to be done at the Italian Court.