Italian Criminal Records


Italian Criminal Records: Types of Certificates and Jurisdiction Bodies  


Criminal Records in Italy are regulated by the Art.24 DPR 313/02. According to the legislation, there are four types of criminal records certificates in Italy:


1) General Criminal Records Certificate (“Certificato Generale”)

It contains all irrevocable actions taken by the Judge relevant to criminal, civil and administrative matters. This certificate is often requested for administrative use, migration, adoption, citizenship or work.

2) Criminal Certificate of Good Conduct (“Certificato Penale”)

It contains all irrevocable criminal judgments. It is normally requested for administrative use or work.

3) Civil Certificate of Good Conduct (“Certificato Civile”)

It contains all irrevocable judgments aimed to limit the civil capacity of a person (disqualification, deprivation of civil rights). Furthermore, it contains all the judgments relevant to declarations of bankruptcy or expulsion measures.

4) Pending Charges Certificate (“Certificato dei Carichi Pendenti”)

It contains all pending criminal proceedings which has not been defined yet through an irrevocable action of a Judge. It is commonly required for administrative use or work.


italian criminal records, example of italian pending charges certificate

Italians as well as foreigners can apply for such certificates to prove their criminal record history in the country.

The office in charge for issuing these criminal records in Italy is the Prosecutor’s Office of the Court.

The General Criminal Records Certificate, the Criminal and Civil Certificates of Good Conduct can be requested to any Court in Italy. However, the Pending Charges Certificate, can only be applied for at the Court of the place where the applicant has officially registered his/her residence.


Validity and Scope of the Certificates


The mentioned certificates have a 6-month-validity and can be requested for several reasons, including labor migration, adoption or citizenship. Furthermore, they might be required for administrative purposes.

Should the certificates need to be submitted to Foreign Authorities, they will need to be legalised first.

For further information about the types of legalisation, please check the previous sections “Legalisation”.

Ask your Quotation Below